Thursday, September 24, 2009

A New Decade

I know the reflection cannot be me. That person reached a new milestone today; a new decade. When my mother was in this decade, she was old. Her friends were old too. I’m constantly startled when I see the reflection the mirror. It can’t possibly be me! That person looks nothing like me. She has white hair and lines on her face. I noticed the other day how gravity has taken over in odd places. She looks somewhat like my mother.


Well, it’s not me. I have proof. I have facts and data that say there is a mysterious force that has taken over every mirror in my house. I know that sounds preposterous, but it’s true. When I walk around my village I see people staring at me . . . when I’m near enough to see them. I hear things too…at least I hear them when people speak up and don’t mumble. Men, and even boys say, “I like to see you”. When I’m in Castries taxi drivers, who are waiting for a fare, call out, “Hey Blondie”. Just yesterday when I was in Castries I was attempting to cross the street. There is no pedestrian right-of-way here and this can be a dangerous activity. A car stopped and the driver motioned me to cross the street. He rolled down his window and said, “I love you so much, I wouldn’t want anything to happen to you.” Some men are even concerned for my safety and shout, “I want to be your personal security”.


People wouldn’t say these things to that person in the mirror! I’m sure my mother would not have heard these comments in this decade. Could it have anything to do with Saint Lucia . . . nah! These are hard facts and data. These statements are made by perfect strangers! And, these strangers are many times half the decade of that woman in the mirror – and sometimes even less than half! Besides, I’m in the Peace Corps. I have no car; my feet take me most places. Does this sound like the reflection in the mirror? I don’t think so either.


At times I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone . . . oops, is that a clue that might help identify the decade? I will leave it to your imagination to decide what decade I’m talking about. In the meantime, I’m going to go clean my mirror and see if that helps.

4 comments:

jay said...

mom,
tell that person in the mirror to shut the hell up, and recognize where she is celebrating this new decade!!!
i love you mom, and i'm very proud of you. how many women reaching this decade today can say that they are a peace corps volunteer?

jay

Karen's Planet said...

Probably not many Jay - thanks. I love you ... I think I'll go celebrate now, but I won't tell you how - I will leave that to your imagination.

Anonymous said...

You seem like someone of half your decade to me. That too is the person i see
Kevin

Karen's Planet said...

ah, Kevie - what a nice thing to say.